Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Remind me why we live in houses??

Every time I head up North, the nomadic life of tents, temporary homes, and outdoor living sounds better and better.  Sort of joking - but not really.



Look at that open sky and those green trees!


That's 29 miles of dirt road.  And 44 miles of DIRT ROAD.
It's great!


I hate goats.  They are evil.  And these ones - I kid you not - were bigger than any mini horse or mini cow that I've ever met.  They were crazy big.  I was not happy.  Thankfully, we weren't here for very long.



Taken in Kanab, Utah!  I've now been to 24 states.  Only 26 left to see, and my goal is to see them before I'm 30.  Likely I'll get to add Colorado next year.





Mountains and clouds.  I can't get enough of them.


That was dehydrated.  It was weird, but good.


Tows!!  They wander loose through out Kaibab.
(No Mrs R, I did NOT misspell it.  Tows.  And hopgrassers.  And Runroaders :)


Well then.


Welcome to our living room/kitchen/dining room.  After meal clean up = fast.


Cicada nymph shells.  So weird, but terribly interesting.


The next two pictures are taken from the same spot.

Before Rain and Fog

After Rain and Fog

Where'd the Canyon go?!?!

Completely unedited.  That's really what it looked like.

On top of the clouds.  (About 9,000 ft)
That's how much fog and mist was rolling in.


Have I ever mentioned that I love North Rim?  Oh I Love It Here.

He does, too :)

We had originally planned to hang out in Utah, but that didn't work out.  We stayed one night before heading back to the Grand Canyon.  It rained almost the entire time we were there.  Which was fine, except that we took some serious risks bringing The Imp down some of those roads.  We ended up being temporarily flooded in.  When the "road" was passable, we drove to a more reliable spot.  That meant packing out the remainder of our stuff the next morning.  So much mud.  SO much mud.  It was great, but I was very glad for a real shower at home.  The only reason to go home, ever.  Showers.  Not beds, not roofs, not even cell phone reception or internet.  Showers.

I wished all my favorite people were there to share it with me.  Mom and I agreed that we felt a bit guilty enjoying the beauty alone.  Maybe someday some of y'all could join us.  I'd like that and I think y'all would, too :)



10 comments:

  1. But I lliiikkeee driving across meadows!! LOL

    Looks like you all had a blast!!

    Am I missing how to follow your blog? Could be a blonde moment...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great. The drive up there is an experience, too. Don't know if you've ever driven through that part of the state... It's Navajo country, mostly. So you come out of this beautiful, lush, Kaibab forest into a bleak, barren, squalid strip of land. I'm always reluctant to leave Kaibab - then we get to Navajo land and it's like we can't drive fast enough to get out of there. Then we get to Flag, and I'm like, "that's it, you have to go home without me, I am never leaving, I love this town." And then we get to Phx, and once more I can't get out fast enough. By the time we get to Marana, I can't sit still. It's 9 hours. You can cover a lot of literature in 9 hours of driving.

    I'm not sure why I just wrote all that. Bit off topic. But, yeah, we had a great time.

    Hmmm, You should be able to follow via email and bloglovin off to the left, over there. I'll have to see about making that more obvious :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in a house for a/c & indoor plumbing, but maybe that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If one must be confined by a roof, plumbing and a/c are major perks. But we didn't need a/c, the weather was beautiful :)

      Delete
  4. Hey girl.....watch it....I have four goats, and the R's have three...wanna come visit???? Just kiddin' :)

    (AWESOME dog!!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know a lot of folks who have goats. Interesting thing is, none of them have been able to demonstrate that their goats are not either mean, loud, pushy, scary, or obnoxious. I'm open to meeting a nice goat. Maybe ;) AND I DIDN'T KNOW THE R's GOT GOATS! They also have ducks! My Mum feels about ducks the way I feel about goats! It's a conspiracy! They are trying to scare us away!! I may just need to visit and see what this is all about!

      Thanks, he's a good dog, for the most part :)

      Delete
    2. Don't worry - I agree - There is a VERY good reason why God says sheep are going to heaven and goats are going to hell. Sometimes God gives us some VERY fitting real life analogies, and goats are destined for hell without a doubt.
      Just in case you can't tell, I am not a huge fan of goats....
      But what's wrong with ducks??? The ducks on our place are most entertaining and lovable! You should try turkeys...... they are right on up there (down there?) with the goats. Joel Salatin says the sole purpose of a turkeys existence was to find a more creative way to die.

      Delete
    3. Goats are for eating. I've heard they're really good :D

      I don't have duck issues other than that they attack Mum.

      Turkeys are good for laughs. I've never had to care for them, though. But you don't particularly like chickens either. I do, I wonder if that would make a difference?

      Delete
  5. Mrs. R still says spelling lessons at our house are in order - Preferably for large amounts of time so that girly activities can be snuck in around the lessons. :)
    (She said that, not me :) )

    ReplyDelete